WRITTEN BY JACOB ROSS
Do you ever see an image and say “I wish I could make that?” but don’t have any graphic design experience or knowledge? There are a number of websites out there that offer design services for a fee or allow you to create designs from scratch for a nominal fee.
Worry no more!
“With Canva, everyone can design for free. Canva’s library is sourced from some of the world’s most talented photographers, illustrators and designers. Users can upload their own content or pay $1 per premium element when they publish their design.”
The idea for Canva came about when Melanie Perkins was teaching graphic design programs at a university and found students struggled to learn the basics. We’ve all been there, right?
Canva has templates for every type of graphic you could possibly need. At AroundCampus, we use Canva to create graphics for our Social Networks and it is streamlined enough to easily resize images for different needs. Take the images below for example. The first image was used for Facebook and Instagram, while the second image was created for Twitter. Twitter images need to be more rectangular so that the entire image can be seen on the Twitter feed without having to click to expand it..
Canva features free to use images too! Simply type in what it is you’re looking for and choose from the results. Don’t see what you need? You can easily upload any image from your computer to make your design look exactly how you envisioned! Not quite the photographer your Instagram pictures make you out to be? Canva has an assortment of premium features, including photos that can be purchased for just $1 a piece.
Canva can be used for so much more than just your social media needs. Aside from social media posts and profile headers, Canva can help you design business cards, posters, real estate flyers, and food/drink menus. If your company or organization does direct mailers or blogging, then you’re covered too. Canva will even help your garage band create an album cover!
Whatever your needs may be, Canva is your best friend. Its simple to use platform, video tutorials, and network of designers will have you creating designs left and right!
- A simple new way to design. Easily turn your ideas into designs for Web and print.
- Search and drag simplicity. Search Canva’s integrated library of stock photographs, graphic elements, and cut-out images then drag-and-drop to create your design.
- It’s online and free to use. Canva is entirely online, so there’s no expensive software to install.
- Choose from one million images and hundreds of fonts. Design with 1 million photos, graphics and fonts, or upload your own.
- Collaborate with anyone, anywhere. Canva lets you share and edit your designs with friends, clients, and coworkers.