WRITTEN BY: KELSEY DI GIROLAMO
Having a solid web presence is the key to business success in this day and age. Setting up your Google My Business (GMB) account with Google can help boost your web presence. So, why get on Google My Business? Google has the largest share of the search engine market. As of January 2015, 74.8% of search engine users in the United States use Google for their online searches. With Google having the strongest hold on the market, you don’t want to miss out on getting your business recognized!
Features of Google My Business
- This is a completely free service!
- Easily manage your business listing(s) from one place. This information updates across these platforms: Google Search, Google Maps, Google Places, and Google+.
- Include relevant business information:
- Contact information
- Hours of operation
- Business description
- Business website
- Add photos of your business or products.
- Monitor review. Monitor reviews left by customers.
- Google Analytics. Easily switch from GMB to your Google Analytics dashboard. You can analyze website traffic patterns and trends to improve your site’s SEO (search engine optimization) and increase your access to potential customers.
Get the most out of Google My Business
- Upload photos of your business, products and services. People love great looking photos! Make sure you include photos of your storefront, products, interior of your store, owner, and even employees.
(Tip: Not a photographer or don’t have time to take professional pictures? Reach out to your college employees or customers. Chances are some of them are studying photography or know of a friend that can help!)
- Respond to reviews. You will want to respond quickly to any negative reviews to show your business is actively engaging with its customers, and to minimize any damage caused by these comments. We have a great article about how to properly respond to criticism online. You should also respond to any positive reviews left by happy customers thanking them for their feedback!
- GMB for mobile. Great news! If you’re on the go like most business owners GMB has an app available for both Android and Apple.
- Update frequently. If you change your menu, hours of operation, location or business name make sure you are updating your GMB. You should also update any other web or social media presence as well to stay consistent.
- Use Google+ tools. Since Google introduced Google My Business, it has enhanced the small business experience. This article about Google+ and GMB is an excellent read if you’d like to make the most of these powerful (and free) tools.
Ready to get started? Here are three easy steps to get started today:
- Sign up for Google My Business if you haven’t already and create your profile!
- Take tutorials to learn more about Google My Business and Google+. Here are two to get you started:
- Check in on your business regularly. You can respond to reviews, update the profile, and discover how customers find your business on Google.
How has Google My Business or Google+ helped you with your business?